By 1864, the population of Gothenburg had increased substantially. The County Governor, Albert Ehrenswärd, saw the need for a green area available to everyone in the city. The cause was taken up by August Kobb, at the time a member of the city council. Using Nordic nature as a starting point and deriving inspiration from English parks and the Skansen park in Stockholm, Slottsskogen became a park in the true sense in 1874, complete with large grassed areas, winding paths, a zoo, cottages representing building styles in various parts of the country, and a dance pavilion.
August Kobb’s portrait can be seen today in the rock at the bottom of Säldammsbacken.